Friday, February 22, 2013

Which parent are YOU???

  As of late I have been noticing a "pattern" in the parents that surround me. Whether these parents have children with Autism, "NT" children, or both, the pattern remains. I am finally sitting down to collect my thoughts on this, so bear with me......
  So basically I have been noticing 3 kinds of parents. The "Whoa is Me Parent," the "My Kid is Better Than Your Kid Parent," and the "Happy Medium Parent." What are these types of parents you ask?? Well, let's break it down.

   The My Kid is Better Than Your Kid Parent: This is the parent that is ALWAYS comparing their child to others. No matter what it may be, your child is always standing in their child's shadow. (At least in the eyes of this parent.) You know this parent. "(Insert Child's name) is so smart! (Insert child's name) only spends x amount of time in the ASD class! You know, (insert YOUR child's name) would have to spend so much more time in the ASD class.  (Insert their child's name) has such "mild" autism, I am so lucky" This could go on for ever because this parent never ceases to make you feel like you and your child are less than them and their child. It's like a viscous cycle!!!

  The Whoa is Me Parent: This is the parent that no matter what may be happening in your life, they have it SO much worse. You know this parent too. Let me set an example.... You say, "Oh I am so tired because (your kiddo's name) didn't sleep well last night." At which time the WiMP says, (most likely with an eye roll, or a miserable look on their face), "Well, I haven't slept in x amount of days because (insert their child's name) hasn't slept in x amount of days!!!" (Feel free to insert some ridiculous number there because this parent almost always dramatically exaggerates the situation, no matter what it may be!) Or maybe you are tired because your kiddo had a rough meltdown day. Maybe you need to vent about this, and of course the parent that you're venting too is the WiMP . You might say, "Ugh! "Johnny" had such a rough day yesterday!!! He had x amount of meltdowns and I am physically and mentally exhausted!" Now, you know the WiMP  is now going to go on about how many MORE meltdowns their child had and how much WORSE it was......

  Now, the Happy Medium Parent: This is where I feel I fit in. I am in the happy medium. I try to surround myself with other HMP's, but that isn't always the way it goes. We all know the MKiBTYK and WiMP are often unavoidable....I digress. HMP's are happy with every day. They have good days, they have bad days, as do their kiddos. BUT, they are thankful for EVERY DAY with their LO's. The HMP knows their life isn't perfect, but also knows some have it much worse. The HMP's are the ones with level heads, and the ones that are always there for everyone else. They are grateful for the life they have. They don't waste time comparing their kiddos to others. They don't waste time making their life seem so hard, and exaggerating every bad day of their life. The HMP's have bad days too. BUT instead of hiding it, or instead of making a big deal about it, they get up, they dust themselves off, and they move on. Regardless of how much or how little sleep they have, regardless of the size of their kiddo's meltdown, regardless of the amount of time their kiddo spends in an ASD class as compared to an inclusive class....regardless of all this, these parents, keep fighting the good fight. They keep living the good life.....and do you know why???? Because they don't concern themselves with being better than someone else.  They don't concern themselves with being worse than another.  They just BE. They live, they love, and they help those that they can. The Happy Medium Parents make the best friends! <3


  Soooo, which parent are you??? Do you know some of these other parents???

4 comments:

  1. oh my goodness, yes! i am SO tired of ALWAYS hearing how this particular mom has things WAY worse than us: her life, her marital status, her income, etc...she has 3 nt kids and you'd think nothing ever goes in her favor...so, she is actually a bit of both, lol! i am definitely thinking i'm a hmp :) we have really bad days, and we have good days. take it in stride and move on, right? thanks, again, for a great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes!!!! I know someone with two NT kids that is much the same. Never anything but complaining, it's so annoying!!! Def. have a bad day, get over it and move on :)

      Delete
  2. whahaah this ade me laugh I know many parents from all 3 groups Im deffo HMP I love my little life.. but would anyone admit to being one of the other two groups ???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha, probably not, but this would certainly make them think ;)

      Delete