Friday, June 1, 2012

Autism Screams at Dollar General!

It sure does, I found that out yesterday! Let me back track a bit before I get to my point.
In April, we stopped at DG and Liam started yelling. "Momma, momma, I see autism puzzles!!!" He was right. There in the window was a sign with the Autism Speaks logo on it. They were taking donations for them. Of course, they didn't ask me if I wanted to donate. I had to ask them, and then the cashier had no idea what I was talking about. Pfffttt, I was irritated. Anyway, Liam donated 2$ of his own money, he insisted. He is becoming such a wonderful lil humanitarian and advocate :)
Yesterday after his SSP, I had to make a quick pit stop at DG. Of course, he wanted to come with me. He was on a mission for chocolate chip pop tarts. Once inside, half the food aisles were packed from various vendors. Needless to say, we couldn't find pop tarts. He was NOT happy. I got what we needed and took the closest aisle to the register. WHAT WAS I THINKING??????? It was the freakin' toy aisle. Liam spied some fake money, and the downward spiral began.
"Momma!!!! I want this money." "No Liam." "But momma!!! You stole mine and I want more." "Liam, the last time I bought that crap for you, it was ALL over the living room. I got tired of picking it up and made a game out of it." This conversation would have went on and on, but we had to go. I started to walk away.
Autism started screaming!!!!!! Down on the floor Liam went. Tears, fists, and feet were flying! All over some damn fake money!!!!!
I dodged his limbs and got him to his feet. Sticking to my guns, we got to the register, and of course had to wait. The guy in front of me was chuckling. Liam was still screaming and crying. The cashier looked at me with such compassion and smiled. She said to the guy, "oh I know how that feels, I have 2 children." Whether they have ASD or not, at least she was caring, and not upset by the whirlwind of a child standing before her. He still had the damn money clenched in his sweaty little hands. I managed to pry it free, and she graciously took it from me so I could get the hell out of there!
Once outside, Liam started to vomit in the parking lot. Oh how I love puke~NOT!!!!!! I can do poop, but puke, not so much!!!! After the gagging, I calmly tell Liam we have to leave, please get in the car. Yeah right, like that was gonna happen. More shrieking, tears, stomping. I had to pick him up, get him in his booster seat, and get his seat belt on. I did it with so much finesse, I amazed myself. Autism surely is making this momma stronger and more graceful :D (I joke because that is how I deal with life)
He continued to scream and repeat "money" about 200 times before he finally calmed down. Thank God his special blanky "stripey" was in the car. He did what he often does, and covered his head and was able to calm down.
So yesterday, Autism not only "spoke" at Dollar General. It kicked, shrieked, punched and cried. Liam gave the customers, the cashier, the pepsi guy, the coca cola guy, and the tater chip dude a quick lesson on Autism and meltdowns. See, he advocates even when he doesn't realize he is doing so.......Okay not really, but thats how I am choosing to see it. :D

Liam after the "fun" at DG...


I guess you mostly came here to see my Ryan's. Okay, I will give them up now. I had a hard time with these last nite, my brain was mush after the days events.......

Woo hoo! Someone other than a stranger is staring at me :)

He sure does. Can't turn your back on the lil booger for a sec!!!

Oh Ryan, you read my mind!!!!!!

Don't forget to head over to Adventures in Extreme Parenthood to check out Sunday's blog and the other Ryan link ups today!!! 

Have a great weekend!! 
<3<3<3<3





17 comments:

  1. I love your last one!!! And when they have a meltdown in the store is so hard. I'm glad you got through it and if we didn't laugh, we'd cry I think. I much prefer the laughing.

    xxoo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ty :) yes, laughter truly is the best medicine :)

      Delete
  2. We have been dealing with a lot of puke when my son get's upset too. Not only is it gross as all get out, it is so frustrating too! We also do the blanket thing.

    I think Ryan in the last one has the perfect idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank God for blanky's :) Ryan is the best isn't he :)

      Delete
  3. Oh, wow, I've so been there! Love your Ryan posters! He always knows exactly what we need, doesn't he?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, and yes, he always seems to read my mind :D

      Delete
  4. SO been there. And I am in complete agreement that Autism is its own special Mommy workout.

    Ryan is right - a glass of wine and quality snuggling is definitely in order.

    ReplyDelete
  5. yes, when I figure up my calories for the day, if Liam has major meltdowns, I log them as wrestling!!! I could go for some wine now, but alas, its only 12:30 here :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The "I've got my eye on you" one really made me giggle!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so glad we have never had vomiting with meltdowns - I wouldn't have dealt as well as you! Public meltdowns are horrible. If it helps at all, DS used to have them all the time, but as he's got older he is more able to hold on until he gets home. He still has meltdowns - but fewer in public now (he's 12). I would send hugs - but you've got Ryan, so he can do it instead! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am learning to hell with others, he is my main concern (well always was, but I used to get so embarrassed)I luv Ryan hugs :D

      Delete
  8. ugh. So sorry about the store. I was there last week as well. It sucks :(

    I love the one eye on him poster. That's my son...a runner. ack!~

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love Ryan! Autism may have reared it's ugly head at DG but you survived. Hope you got a shower after the puke!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh the wonderful world of meltdowns. I have fought many an octopus into the car in past years! James also loves to hide under his blanket, the table, in closets, where ever he can find. Glad Liam is so passionate about educating the public about Autism!! Way to go little man!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh yes, gotta love battling the octopus, lol. Thank you, I am very proud of my lil man <3

    ReplyDelete