Wednesday, December 28, 2011

OCD and my lil Aspie

So last nite before bed, our aspie comes to us and says, "mommy, I am having trouble walking." When asked what he was talking about he replied, "when I walk, I have to back up and do it again, and tell my brain to erase my footsteps." I was shocked! My aspie is 5 and a half, and is like talking to a grown man, but I was more shocked because he seems to be becoming more self aware of his "issues." Hubby and I try not to talk about his obsessions and compulsions in front of him because he is so bright, and we don't want him to pick up on what we say and then do them for attention. (Aspie loves attention!) I was also bothered because it wasn't something I had picked up, and I always notice aspie's quirks, I'm his momma, its my job. As I said before my aspie is a busy body, and seems to be in perpetual motion, which may be why we didn't notice. The fact remains, HE noticed, and it breaks my heart that he has to "tell his brain to erase" anything. The fact that he knows it's his brain telling him to retrace his steps astonishes me and makes my heart wrench. I have been saying I hate not knowing what goes on in his brain, but maybe now, as I am beginning to realize, I hate KNOWING what is going on in his brain. His father and I are against medicating him for any of his "quirks" so I guess this means more research for mommy in ways to help him nip the obsessions and compulsions in the bud, if that is at all possible. I hate feeling like I can't help my baby, its one of the worst feelings in the world!

4 comments:

  1. My oldest has co-occuring OCD as well. We tried the medical route, but the side effects were NOT worth it. We were suggested fish oil supplements. Have you ever tried this route? I am having a hard time finding a palatable one for a very gaggy 10yr old.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes! our son is very gaggy as well. He couldn't take the fish oil. We found Jif pb with Omega 3 fish oil in it. He LOVES it, and I tasted it, u can't taste it at all. Since he has been eating that (and he LOVES PB, so he eats ALOT) his OCD is MUCH better!!!

      Delete
  2. I have OCD and a tentative diagnosis of Aspergers. I had weird compulsions like that all my life, but I didn't get a diagnosis until I was already in my mid-teens (I'm 19 now). Your son is young, and the worries about medication are valid, but please, don't discount them altogether. When I got the diagnosis of OCD, I was put on Zoloft, an antidepressant from a class of drugs that is considered a standard for treatment of OCD and similar disorders. My life became so, so much better as a result. I can only think how much anxiety and stress I could have avoided had I been put on medication earlier. Of course, there can be side effects, and it's not uncommon to have to try several different drugs to find one that's effective for an individual, but if your son's doctors believe that it's a good option, please consider it, because it could make his life so much easier.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ash! I too am on Zoloft for my anxiety and depression, it works wonders for me. His OCD seems to be good right now. It goes in waves. When he is stressed about something, it is worse. and he never obsesses on the same thing. for a time it will be hand washing, then about a week or so later it will be not walking on cracks. His obsessions are ever changing. guess he likes to keep me on my toes :)

      Delete