Friday, March 1, 2013

Spotlight Sibling March




Spotlight Sibling Interview

It's that time of the month again. A new month, and a new Spotlight Sibling. Meet our sibling of the month,  Rylan. Rylan is 8 years old and his older brother Devon has Autism. Rylan also has a little sister named Emma. Rylan loves sports and plays baseball, football and soccer. Mom says that "because they have to explain everything to Devon, it has improved Rylan's reading. He can read at a 4th grade level even though he himself is in the 2nd grade. He is an A, B student and on the honor roll". Mom also relates that "Rylan is the mother hen type. He loves helping and caring for his brother and sister and even his classmates in school." He love the outdoors and doing yard work and lawn mowing with his dad. "He has a huge heart and loves helping others!" Bottom line, Rylan is a wonderful young man!!!! So without further ado, here is Rylan's interview. Please take a moment and leave him some love in the comments.


Q: I read an article that stated that siblings of autistickiddos feel like “victims.” Do you feel like a victim of a brother/sister withAutism?
A: No!!! Not at all 



Q: In your eyes, what is the HARDEST part of being a sibling toan autistic brother/sister?
A: There's really nothing that's to hard except when Devon talks back to my dad.



Q: What is the BEST part?
A: When Devon plays with me.



Q: Do you resent Autism? If so, Why?
A: No!!!



Q: How has having a brother/sister with Autism changed yourlife?
A: Autism is all we know (devon is the oldest)



Q: Has Autism taught you anything?
A: yes, it's taught me how to nicer to people and to be patient and help others.


Q: Do you think educating other kids about Autism is important?If so, Why?
A: yes,  so that the kids won't be bullies to my brother and everybody with autism.



Q: If you were given the opportunity to speak to your school asa whole about Autism, what would you tell them?
A: Autism is just a word my brother is a person! 


Q: Kids with Autism are 4x more likely to be victims ofbullying. If you saw someone bullying a child with Autism, what would you do?
A: I'd tell them to stop and go get a adult.


Q: If you had to write an essay about Autism, tell me, in a fewwords what it might say?
A: Autism doesn't mean my brother can't do things it means he does them differently.


Q: Here is your chance. If I left anything out, and there issomething you want to add about Autism (it can be positive or negative) feelfree to write it here.
A: I feel sad sometimes because I want devon to teach me stuff instead of me teaching him...







So there you have it. Another month, another AuSome sibling! Please take a moment and leave Rylan some love in the comments.
<3<3<3<3

4 comments:

  1. Love this format! Siblings are my passion because they give so much and often get so little. I loved the answer that "Autism is just a word and my brother is a person!" This kid has it figured out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. May God continue to bless you with such a loving and caring heart! You go awesome big boy!! Love you-Grandma Rosa

      Delete
  2. Awwwww......(tear) I so love him he is very smart n he loves his brother n sister........luv pila
    #awesome kid

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awwwww......(tear) I so love him he is very smart n he loves his brother n sister........luv pila
    #awesome kid

    ReplyDelete