Saturday, May 25, 2013

Sexism in the 21st century....

  So this post isn't autism related. I know, SHOCKER!!! Anyway, here goes.....

  Yesterday after my neuro appointment, I had to use the potty. I was walking down the hall, and first passed the men's room, then  the ladies room. As I put my hand on the door, I saw this:


I know what you're probably thinking. It's a baby changing station sign, so what. Well, it pissed me off. My initial thought was, "oh sure, put the changing table in the ladies room because you know, we should be the ones to always have to change diapers! " My second thought was, "how sexist! Why can't this be in the men's room? We are in the 21st century. Wiping kiddos arses isn't solely the woman's job anymore!" Then it dawned on me. This sign was a sign of sexism in the 21st century, but maybe not so much in the way I was thinking......

What about the dads? The guys that do change the diapers? The stay at home dad's. The single dads. What about when they are out with their baby and need to change a diaper??? If there isn't a changing station in the men's room, then what? They can't just go in the ladies room because they need to change a diaper. 

Why the hell aren't these stations in EACH bathroom? I know I have seen the signs on men's room doors before, but not often. WHY? Are we still so stuck in our old fashioned ways that this isn't thought of? Are most places too cheap to spend the money on extra changing tables?

So now that I am done bitching about that, let me just say, I hate the damn things. I only used one, one time when Liam had a nasty explosive poop as a baby and of course we were in a store. When I do look at these things, all I can think is that they are seething with germs, and yuck, just yuck! But there are people who use them, and it is sexist to not have them in both bathrooms in a public place.

Props to the SAHD's, the single daddy-o's and the daddy-o's that share in changing the diapers. Now, would you mind telling me what you do when you're out in public and need to change a diaper? (I used to do it in the car. Not fun, but not as germy as those things)

♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

No comments:

Post a Comment