Monday, June 16, 2014

A Lesson in Karma

kar·ma
noun
noun: karma
  1. (in Hinduism and Buddhism) the sum of a person's actions in this and previous states of existence, viewed as deciding their fate in future existences.
    • informal
      destiny or fate, following as effect from cause.

  2. Yesterday Liam got to see how Karma works. 

He and his dad were going to the tractor pulls down the road yesterday morning. He decided he wanted to take one of his friends, (A) whom sadly lost his dad a few years ago. So the three men went, and had a great time. Liam even spent $3 of his OWN money on me!!!! He bought me a home made candle.

Anyway, when they got back he asked friend if he wanted to stay and play. He said no. Liam was heartbroken. We distracted him with playing Magic the Gathering, and all seemed well.

Later in the afternoon, another kid came over. We will call him J. Liam played with him for about 30 minutes, and then became ornery.(since his last regression, attitude and aggression has been an issue.) So that boy went home. (can't blame him, and I told Liam that was because he was being rude.)

Liam then went over to A's house, and asked if he was ready to play with him yet. He told Liam, "no, I don't feel like playing with you, so go home." (seems Liam wasn't the only ornery kiddo yesterday!)

Liam came back over, head down, and upset. I told him that was karma. When J was over to play with him, he was being rude, so J went home. Karma bit his butt when he asked A to play and he didn't want too. Liam didn't quite grasp what I was saying. So I let it go, because I didn't want to bombard him anything negative. We have had enough of that lately....

Fast forward about an hour. We were eating dinner outside. A and J and other neighborhood kids were riding bikes. They didn't want Liam to join. (Like I said, he was being rude to J so I get it, but it still stings.) Next thing we know, one of the kids is screaming at A. Telling him to stop following them, they didn't want him to play. He continued to annoy them, and the one girl flung him down. Not cool, but kids are kids. A refrained from hitting her, but went inside crying. Liam started to laugh uncontrollably~ NOT COOL!!!!

Here was my chance to explain karma a bit better. I told Liam that was karma striking again. He didn't get it. I then went into more depth. I said, "here are two examples. First one: J came to play, you were rude. He got mad and went home and played with other kids.  Then the other kids didn't want to play with you. Karma kicked you in the rear because you were being rude. Secondly: This morning, you and daddy took A to the tractor pulls. Came home and he didn't want to play with you. Then he turned you down again. Next thing you see, the other kids are being mean to him, and don't want to play with him.  That is a prime example of karma. It means, you get what you give. So you better quit laughing or karma will bite you back!"




He looked at me, and said, "So if you are nice, you get nice? If you are mean, you get mean?" I wanted to tell him it's not like that ALL the time, but he has plenty of time to learn how cruel the world can be, and to let it jade him like the rest of us. He got the gist of it, stopped laughing, and I was happy. 

I am happy to report that today J forgave him, and now the two of them are happily playing together.





No comments:

Post a Comment