Monday, June 9, 2014

Society has failed us....

Society has failed us all....

Society deems what is "acceptable" in our world. It feeds the media whom then warps these thoughts into biased, fear based reports. This is unacceptable.

Society tells our children it's not okay to be curvy.

Society tells our children it's not okay to be Gay.

Society tells our children how they should look, speak, and act.

Society doesn't accept those that are different. Instead it shuns.

Society has a lot of nerve.

As a parent, this makes me sick. Because of society projecting all these things on to my child, I must undo the harm it has caused.

My child is autistic. He is vulnerable. Society has warped him into thinking he is bad, he is wrong, and he is different.

WHY??? Because he doesn't fit the standard?

Because he chooses to be himself and embrace it?

I have spent 8 years molding this boy into the child he is. To be proud of who he is, and what he is, and to not care what others think of him.

Then, in a 5 minute fluff piece on the news, society took that from him.

Because of their wild and inaccurate assumptions of mass killings, society told my child that because he is autistic, that makes him a murderer.

You see, autistic people have intense perseverations. They take something in life, and then they hyper focus on it. It's what they do.

So when my son heard the news anchor say that this killer was autistic, he internalized that into thinking that because he is autistic, that makes him a killer.

And then he perseverated... and perseverated..... and perseverated.

I can't explain to you the intensity of this situation. If you are in fact autistic, or care for someone who is, you know what I am saying.

If you're not, then the best way for me to explain it is, my son cried and rocked and screamed for DAYS. He didn't eat. He barely drank. No one really slept. All because society planted an idea into his mind.

Society has my son thinking that because he is autistic, people are afraid of him. That because he is neurologically different, he is hard wired to kill. HE IS EIGHT!!!

 It has him thinking that because he likes the color purple, and Frozen, that he is homosexual. He didn't even know what the word meant!!!! I had to explain it to him. Yet, he thought he was because society tells us that toys are gender specific.

I can say  that society needs to cut the crap. It needs to stop assuming it knows how people should be. It needs to realize that every word it utters, falls upon innocent ears. It needs to stop trying to fit our children into it's preformed molds.

I for one won't be watching the news any more. It's sad when something that is supposed to inform us, instead scares or belittles us or the ones we love. All in the name of "getting a story."

I will also continue to let my son be himself.  Encouraging him to soar. I will continue to not deem any toy gender specific. I will let him be a child.

This world makes us grow up too fast, and I for one refuse to let him lose his childhood.  All because of society and it's ignorant ideals.

*****************************************************************************





7 comments:

  1. Thank you for putting into words what I haven't been able to express. My heart is with you as we travel this journey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much. I am here if you ever need to vent. You can even PM me on my facebook page, A Legion for Liam. <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are in this together. I know what you are feeling!! hugs and kisses!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Girl! I wish you had talked to me. Poor Lil buddy, all of you. So sorry you had to go thru that. Sending ((((HUGS))))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Christine. I was so distraught, I really couldn't bear to talk about it. I couldn't even go into much detail here bc it's still too raw. I am hoping I can in time, bc I feel this happens much more than ppl realize among our children. We need to speak out for them, for others <3 Thank you for your continued support <3

      Delete
  5. You all have people on your side. I don't have a child with autism but I do have a niece and nephew that does. It's not easy and I wish you all the best of luck. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete