Monday, August 13, 2018

Let's Bake Fur Baby Style! Strawmelon Pet Grass Bites

    It was damp and rainy here in NEPA this weekend. (Actually it's even worse today!) So of course I used that time to bake some tasty treats for my fur babies. This new recipe was a hit, so join us as we bake fur baby style!


Strawmelon Pet Grass Bites

    I am very passionate about my family. One of the ways I show them my love is by baking them delectable treats. My fur babies are no exception. This weekend I created them a new recipe highlighting fresh summer strawberries, and watermelon (hence the Strawmelon name.) My girls, their fur aunt, and fur cousin went wild. I know your canine besties will too, so let's gather some ingredients and get cooking!

Side Note: 

    You don't HAVE to add pet grass to these cookies. However, it's super healthy for your fur babies, AND it keeps them from nibbling on outdoor grasses. In turn, that keeps them from vomiting in your home. So it's a win win! We get ours from Chewy.com. It's so easy to grow, and kids love trimming it and watching it sprout! 


What You Need:

    Remember, I'm an "eye baker." Measuring isn't really a thing for me as I eyeball all of my recipes. However, I am pretty good at knowing how much of something I put in, so rest assured, your pet bites will be perfect!
  • 1 cup of fresh strawberries (tops off)
  • 2 slices of watermelon (cut off rind, and remove seeds)
  • 1 cup of Granola Mix (we happen to love this mix from Kind.)
  • 3 cups of flour (If you want to use less flour, then add more granola, or substitute oats.)
  • 1/4 of Pet Grass (cut into small pieces) 

Let's Get Baking!

    Preheat your oven to 400°. Grab your blender and mix up your strawberries and watermelon. (By the way, this makes an amazing sorbet for your human family. So you could always double it, and freeze half of it for them!)

See what I mean? This makes a gorgeous sorbet too!


    Pour the fruits into a large mixing bowl. Add in your granola mix and pet grass, and mix. Now, add in your flour. I do a cup at a time. As I said, if you want to use less flour, just replace with the same amount of either granola, or oats. (Granola will make them crunchier which is great for removing plaque too!) Mix well. On a greased cookie sheet, make teaspoon sized cookies. Bake from 12-15 minutes. That's it!

Look how pretty that batter is! All natural pink color :)


    Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to two weeks. For longer shelf life, freeze them. This recipe makes 80 small cookies, so I freeze mine. I take some out each week, and keep them in the refrigerator.


No comments:

Post a Comment