Thursday, April 5, 2012

Giant Sensory Bag

Yesterday I was burning time while LJ was in therapy, so I was on Pinterest. Found an 'au'some idea for a giant sensory bag from the Mommies Made Me Do It blog She gives credit to her inspiration from the Play at Home blog. I was so excited to try it, not long after we got home, I had hubby dig out some bin liners that my daddy brings me from his work. Not as big as the ones in the blogs, but I wanted to try it, before we bought stuff to make one and it didn't turn out right :). I am happy to say, it worked great!!!! Lj had a blast on this thing. As did all the other kids in the neighborhood who stopped by.


I wish I had taken pics of the before and after process for this post, but again, I was too excited to think about that. So here's what I did.... 
                     I took the bag, and since only one end was open, I Duct taped MOST of that end closed, leaving room to fill it. I taped it closed, then folded it over and reinforced it with more tape. LJ picked neon blue for his water, so I let him squeeze in a whole tube of food coloring, and then we started to fill. This took a bit, and LJ lost interest. When it was about 2/3 full I then finished taping the end closed, again folding it over to reinforce the duct tape seam. Here is what it looked like when we finished.

Couldn't hold lil man back any more! Time to let him enjoy it!!
First he laid on it....
Then he explored how it felt to his hands. In doing so, he found a lady bug. *NO LADYBUGS WERE HARMED IN THE MAKING OF THIS SENSORY BAG* It must have been a shell of a ladybug that was on or in the end of the hose.
It made a great landing platform for somersaults and cartwheels...


Now we're back to slapping it to see how the water moves...
LJ enjoyed moving the water around almost as much as he enjoyed jumping and flopping all over it!
He actually started to get tired from it....

All in all, it was a success!! I can't wait to get some bigger plastic, or even cut and tape together some more bin liners. Bigger is better :) As a momma, I loved that this provided LJ with Tactile, Vestibular, and Proprioceptive input, all at the same time. LJ thought he was playing, in reality he was getting some much needed sensory therapy :)

NOTE: This held up great!!!! Only a tiny bit of water leaked from my Duct Tape seam. We left it up last nite, and right now its 23 degrees, so we shall see how it held up to freezing temps in a bit :)







No comments:

Post a Comment