Friday, January 4, 2013

Spotlight Sibling for January

  So I decided to start something new. I read an article claiming that "siblings of autistic children feel like victims," and this angered me so!!!! To read more of that article, CLICK HERE.
  I thought about this a lot, and then it came to me. Why not spotlight a sibling each month, and ask them the same questions, and see how they feel. Good or bad. I wanted to know if this is true. I wanted to hear it from the mouths of siblings.
  I came up with some questions, and reached out to my step son. Now, he doesn't live here full time, so his answers may vary from a sibling who lives full time with their autistic sibling. His answers matter just the same, and I was so proud of what he had to say.
            So, without further ado, I present to you, Branden, age 16 and January's Spotlight Sibling.



Q: I read an article that stated that sibling of autistic kiddos feel like “victims.” Do you feel like a victim of a brother with Autism?
A: "At times I do. Sometimes it's hard because I don't know what to say or do with him."

Q: In your eyes, what is the HARDEST part of being a sibling to an autistic brother?
A: "I'd have to say the hardest part is watching what and how I say things. He is very sensitive."

Q: What is the BEST part?
A: "He is special, one of a kind and I love him."


Q: Do you resent Autism? If so, Why?
A: "No, because I feel it makes people more special and gives them more personality."

Q: How has having a brother with Autism changed your life?
A:" It makes it so I can't play certain video games or watch certain movies or shows because it either scared him or makes him think bad." (Liam ruminates a lot when something upsets him.)

Q: Has Autism taught you anything?
A: "Autism has taught me to stand up for others when they are being teased for being different."

Q: Do you think educating other kids about Autism is important? If so, Why?
A: "Yes. Some people just think someone with Autism is "stupid" or "bad" and they aren't."

Q: If you were given the opportunity to speak to your school as a whole about Autism, what would you tell them?
A: "That kid's with Autism are cool. Most of them are smarter than us. Lots of them are also very good at video games."

Q: Kids with Autism are 4x more likely to be victims of bullying. If you saw someone bullying a child with Autism, what would you do?
A: "I would tell the bully that it's not right to tease someone because they are different. My brother has Autism too and it's NOT right."

Q: If you had to write an essay about Autism, tell me, in a few words what it might say?
A: "Autism is a neurological disorder, and 1 in 88 people have Autism. Autistic people are special."

Q: Here is your chance. If I left anything out, and there is something you want to add about Autism (it can be positive or negative) feel free to write it here.
A: "When you're in a store and a kid is acting "bad," you shouldn't judge them. That kid may have Autism like my brother."

There you have it. From the mouth of an Autistic sibling. I have to say I am very proud of his answers, and I think I am doing a pretty good job of teaching him about Autism. (yep, tooting my own horn a bit, beep beep beep!) :)

Meet "B" 
This is his "Breakthrough the Stigma" pic I took of him. This is the one thing he chose to say to others :)


Stay tuned, next Spotlight Sibling will be in February.
<3<3<3<3


6 comments:

  1. Great questions!! Nice job "B".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my!! No big surprise, I don't know how to post with my name. LOL So I'll type it here. Chris Taylor.

      Delete
  2. great !!! My Sons are only about to be 5 with ASD and his sibling will be 4 in march and I often wonder how it effects him. These question are a bit tough for a not yet 4 year old but we talk opening about Autism and How it effects his brother so Im hoping in 12 years time he too will be as wonderfully educated as your step son =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. thank you all. If any of you do know NT siblings that are old enough to participate let me know :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What age are you looking for? My daughter is six and I think she could answer those questions honestly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no age limit, but I do already have a sib for February. If you follow me on facebook you will see when I post about needing another sibling to take part, and can then ask. I do it as first come first serve. I don't do a waiting list though bc my memory is so bad, lol :)

      Delete