Sunday, July 22, 2018

Art is Important Too!


    I home school Liam with a cyber school. Though I love them and most of their lessons, I feel that there needs to be more of a focus on art. After all, it's important too! Being an artist myself, I make sure that we incorporate it into our daily lives. Because learning happens everywhere, and when you least expect it!



Art is Important Too!

    To me, art is any way you can express yourself. Whether it's sketching, painting, sculpting, or even writing poetry. Sadly, for many brick and mortar schools, art classes are nixed due to funding. Even in cyber school, there's not much focus on the arts. I however know what it's like to have a creative mind and need an outlet for it. I also know how important it has been in my own life, so I make sure I expose my son to various forms of art in his life.

Self portrait from 1st grade (finger paints)


Self Portraits

    One of my favorite projects to do with Liam is self portraits. Each year as we begin a new school year, his first art assignment is to create a self portrait. I give him his sketchbook, and allow him to use any mediums he desires. He has grown from using finger paints and crayons, to markers, to colored pencils, and now even uses chalk pastels or watercolors.



    What's amazing is seeing how your children view themselves. And then seeing how that changes from year to year. You will notice how the little details like eyes and ears will vary as they learn better ways to draw. It's fantastic! I gather them up and file them away, so that each year when he is finished, we can dig them out and compare them.

Lasten Sketchbooks


    I happen to love this set of sketchbooks from Lasten. You get two books. One is large (16.5 inches by 11.4 inches,) and the second is smaller at 11.4 inches by 8.3 inches. They paper is of amazing quality. It's smooth, pure white, and thick. You can sketch, draw, paint and more in the Lasten Sketchbooks. My son loves the handles on them. They're perfect for taking anywhere you or your child roams. It's back to school season, so grab some for the upcoming school year. Then get outside, and have an art lesson in the yard, or at the creek! 


You Don't Need to be an Artist to Expose Your Kids to Art

    It's true, you don't! With the internet we can now access various tutorials on drawing, painting, sculpting and more. If you're like me, you'll join your child and learn with them. It's a great way to bond and to keep your own brain fresh and open to new learning. 

    We're currently learning how to sculpt. It's something I have always wanted to do, but was never much good at it. However, we found this young lady on YouTube that creates kawaii sculpts and so we have been watching her and learning that. It's a great way to expose your child to a new art form. Who knows, maybe Liam will be sculpting more in depth pieces soon!


No comments:

Post a Comment