Sunday, March 11, 2018

Shabby Chic DIY Dollar Tree Crafts

    I love all things Shabby Chic! I've recently started redoing the themes in my home, and going for a Coastal Chic vibe. When I'm getting ready to make new crafts, I always go the Dollar Tree first!



Shabby Chic Dollar Tree Crafts


    Today we're going to talk about chalk painting. Now, while you can't get chalk paint at the Dollar Tree, you CAN GET things to paint! They even usually have Modge Podge Sealer in a Matter finish which is what you'll need to seal your crafts.



    When you're chalk painting something, you want to go with glass that has some texture to it. The more texture, the more you can rough it up and make it look distressed. I went with this awesome milk bottle because it was so textured. I also chose this adorable cross tea light candle holder. It's perfect for Easter, and all year round!



What You'll Need


  • First you will need some Chalk Paint. I get mine from Walmart, and it's about a buck fifty for the smallest bottle. (These small bottles actually go a long way too, so they're worth every penny!)
  • Sealer (I get mine right at the Dollar Tree)
  • Glass Items to Chalk Paint
  • Alcohol
  • Paper Towels
  • Paint Brush
  • Sandpaper

Let's Get Started

    Now that you've gathered all of your supplies, we're ready to get crafting! First wash all of your glass with soap and water, then dry them off. Next, clean the glass with alcohol and paper towels. Now you're ready to paint! Apply your coats lightly, and let dry for two hours in between. I coated mine three or four times. (The darker paint is three coats, the lighter is four.) 



    After your paint is completely dry, it's time to make them look shabby! Using your sandpaper, sand off the paint wherever you want. When it's just the way you want it, it's time to seal it. Put one thick coat of the Modge Podge Matte sealer on them and let them dry. That's it! Easy peasy!



Treat Jars

    I made some treat jars for my fur babies too. While I didn't get the jars from the Dollar Tree (because I have boxes full of jars,) I did get the taper candle holders there. To make these, you will need jars with lids, the candle holders, and some E6000 glue



    After you've painted, sanded and sealed the jars, and they're completely dry, you're ready to glue them to the bases. Add a small amount of glue around the entire top of the taper candle holder, and set your jar on top. (I weighed my jars down with marbles.) Let them sit over night, and voila, shabby (or coastal) chic treat jars!






No comments:

Post a Comment