Saturday, June 23, 2018

Devil's Food Peanut Butter Volcano Cake

    Father's day weekend, I stumbled into a really cool recipe that I want to share with you. Because I always make things "my way," and put my own spin on them, I'm sometimes surprised when they turn out so well. If you love chocolate and peanut butter, then you're going to love this Volcano Cake. Let's get started!

Nom Nom Nom :D

Devil's Food Peanut Butter Volcano Cake

    I recently got a Nordic Ware Bundt Pan, and I've been all about making new and tasty desserts in it. The week prior to Father's day, I made a simple chocolate cake with peanut butter glaze, but I wanted to spice it up. So here's what I came up with. It's easy, and so good. You're family is going to love it. That is, if you decide to share it. ;)


Here's What You're Going to Need

  • Bundt Pan (This is a must and gives your cake a volcano type feel.)
  • Devil's Food Mix (Just because this dessert rich and decadent, doesn't mean it has to be difficult.)
  • Any ingredients listed on your cake mix
  • Peanut Butter (1/2 cup for Lava Glaze. 1 cup for cake.)
  • Milk 1/3 cup
  • Confectioner's Sugar 1 cup
  • Salt (Gives lava glaze more pb flavor. I only use a pinch or two.)
  • Water (about 1/4 cup)
  • Mini Reese Cups

The Cake

    Prepare your Devil's Food cake according to the directions on your box. Be sure to grease your Bundt pan thoroughly, so your cake will release with ease. In your microwave, melt down a cup of peanut butter. Pour this into your bundt pan over your cake mix. Then swirl it into the batter with a knife. Bake your cake, and let it cool. 



    If you want to save some time later, go ahead and cut your mini Reese Cups into fourths, and set aside. (If it's a hot summer day where you live, put them in the fridge.) Once your Bundt Cake is cooled, pop it out of the pan and onto a serving plate.



The Lava Glaze

    Here's the part that makes your cake seem like a Volcano. I stumbled on this accidentally (let's call it "snaccidentally since cake is a snack!) As I was preparing my traditional Peanut Butter Glaze. I normally melt my peanut butter in the microwave, but this time, I decided to try it on the stove. In my smallest saucepan I added my peanut butter, pinch of salt, and milk. As I whisked it, and it cooked down, I got a really thick glaze. So I added about a quarter cup of water. I whisked it more, and added a cup of confectioner's sugar. If it's still too watery, go ahead and add more sugar by eye. You want it runny, but not too much. 



    Now comes the fun part. Pour your "lava" over the cake. I used a ladle to make sure it ran all down my sides. Put the remaining lava in the center of the cake. Then just sprinkle your cut up Reese Cups all over the "volcano." That's it. You just turned an ordinary box cake mix into a rich and decadent dessert. So grab some forks and plates, and enjoy!



NOTE: I refrigerated our Volcano Cake because it was 95 degrees the day I made it. So our "lava" didn't flow a lot. If you want more flowing lava, don't refrigerate, or use water to think your glaze.)



No comments:

Post a Comment