Wednesday, June 13, 2018

Slap Together Summer Meal

    Ugh! I don't know about you, but when it's hot, I don't feel like cooking. But for some odd reason, my family insists on it. ;) Tonight I made an amazing slap together meal that was easy, and I thought I'd share it with you all.


Slap Together Summer Meal

    If you're familiar with my recipes, you know I don't always measure. I cook by eye. So I will do my best to give you round about measurements of the ingredients that I used. If you're familiar with cooking you'll be fine because chances are, you do the same thing too. This meal only takes a few ingredients, and with different ways to make it, it could only take two. It's really all in how you want it. Let's get started.


What You Need

  • Ground beef - about a pound or two (I used ground Angus, and if you do as well, you will need some water later in the recipe.)
  • Taters! I used 6 medium sized red potatoes
  • Cheese (optional) I used extra sharp, and regular sharp cheddar
  • Milk (again, optional)
  • about 1 tbsp salted butter (optional)
  • about 1 tbsp onion (optional as well)

Prep and Cook

    Dice up about a tablespoon of onion. (I have to do mine extra small because if my hubby knows it's in there, he won't eat. Oddly enough, he loved this meal. All because he didn't know there was onion pieces in there!) In a large skillet or pot, start to brown your burger. While that is cooking, thinly slice those taters! I use a mandolin for this, and though it makes slicing a breeze, watch those digits! My daddy almost took a fingertip off on his! 

    Once your taters are sliced, rinse them well, and set them aside in a bowl of cool water. Check on your burger, and break it up nicely. Once it's done cooking, drain your potatoes, and toss them in. Now, if you used Angus like me, you won't have a lot of drippings to cook those potatoes. So add in some water. I think I added about a cup. Now cover your pot, turn heat to medium, and let simmer.


Cheese Please!

    I stirred mine about every five to seven minutes. Once your potatoes are soft, or start to break you they're done. If there is a lot of liquid left in your pot, you can drain it off now. Or leave it in there for more flavor. Now it's time for cheese! (If you don't want cheese, that's fine too. You're one skillet meal is ready to devour.)

    There are two ways to do this. First, you can just sprinkle a bunch of shredded cheese over the meat and potatoes. Cover it and let that melt. Or, if you want more cheesy goodness, grab a small saucepan.



    Over medium heat melt a tablespoon of salted butter, and add in about a half of a cup of milk. Once that starts to bubble, pour in about two cups of shredded cheese. Whisk it well, and once melted, pour it over your meat and potatoes. Give it a good stir. Then sprinkle on MORE cheese (yes please,) and cover with the lid to finish melting. 

    That's it. That's all there is to this easy slap together meal. If you want veggies, then maybe toss in some steamed corn. It would be super yummy with those potatoes, meat, and cheeses. Plus, you would have an extra food group in your dinner. ;)


No comments:

Post a Comment