Monday, June 25, 2018

Water Balloons Just Got an Upgrade

     Water balloons are great summer fun. However, they're messy, and really not great for the planet. But that's okay, because these water balloons just got an upgrade. They're quick and easy to make, and your kids are going to love them.


Water Balloons Just Got an Upgrade

    I've been wanting to crochet for years. As a kid, my great gran and gram taught us to make chains, but that was all I could ever do. This past March I finally decided it was time to learn. So for my birthday I got some hooks and a few skeins of yarn, turned to YouTube, and I've been "hooking" ever since. 

    A few days ago I discovered a tutorial for reusable water balloons. I was immediately hooked. Think about it. No filling balloons, no little pieces of breakage, and a fun project to crochet. I immediately went through my yarn stash and got started.


Why Crochet Water Balloons?

    I don't know about you, but I've long been discouraging my son from playing with water balloons. First of all, it takes me an hour to fill them, and takes the kids about five to ten minutes to break them all. That's not cool. Secondly, they leave little piece all over the yard. That's not good for our fur babies, our Earth. The kids never want to pick them up, and I sure as heck don't want to. Third, these reusable water balloons are so much better for our planet. So this tutorial is a win win.


How Do They Work?

    It's simple really. Get a bucket or two of water. (You can use them in the pool, the lake, or even the creek like us!) Place the crochet balloons in the bucket(s) and press them down in. Get them good and soaked. Now step back and let the kids have a blast. That's it! 



    When they're done, wring them out and hang to dry. You can wash and dry them in your machines too. Which makes them perfect for families. They would make a fantastic gift too! These balloons would be a wonderful way for kids to work on fine motor skills, while having fun at the same time! I love play therapy!

I'm Hooked, Let's Make Some

    I know by now you're just as hooked on this idea as I am. So grab your 9mm crochet hook, and some Bernat Blanket Yarn. This is key for a few reasons. It holds more water. They suck up the water, but don't retain it in their fibers. They also crochet up quickly. I made six for this post in just over an hour. 

    I only made six, because I used the Bernat Blanket Yarn I had on hand. However, we're headed to Walmart this week, and I will purchasing some bright and fun colors to make more. Now that I have you hooked on this amazing idea, here's the YouTube video by Left in Knots, that started it all! Enjoy! If you make some, come back and share some pics!


No comments:

Post a Comment